The Auto Financing Road Map
A Guide for Teaching Auto Financing in Your Community
The Auto Financing Road Map is a kit for use by educators interested in teaching more auto financing in their communities. This free kit offers educators all of the resources and tools needed to hold an auto financing workshop – or to simply incorporate some auto financing principles into an existing financial literacy program.Groups that may find these materials valuable include:
- Community Development Corporations
- Organizations running Individual Development Accounts (IDA’s)
- Faith-based Organizations
- Community Centers
- Teachers (High School or College Level)
- Nonprofit Credit Counseling Organizations
- Anyone else involved in educating people in their communities seeking to enhance their level of financial literacy.
- Educator’s Guide (PDF - 2 MB): This guide will help prepare an educator to teach the subject of auto financing. There is an extensive question and answer section in the back to help prepare teachers for more challenging and complex questions.
- PowerPoint Presentations: There are two PowerPoint presentations available for use in your classroom. One is more extensive and detailed, and designed to be used in a class where the subject matter is entirely focused on auto financing. The other presentation is more condensed, with just a handful of slide that can be droped into existing personal finance curriculum that you already have. Both versions have recommended scripts that can be found in the “Notes Pages” of the PowerPoint presentations.
- "Ready Set Go": Auto Financing 101 (PPT- 1.5 MB - 20 slides, approximately 30-45 minutes in length)
- Auto Financing 101 Learning Module (PPT- 1.6 MB - four slides, approximately five minutes in length)
- Worksheets: These worksheets can be printed out for use in an interactive segment in your classroom, or to hand out as a resource for your students to take home and use when approaching an auto financing decision.
- "Affordability Gauge" Budget Worksheets – these worksheets were designed with computer-equipped classrooms in mind, as they will automatically calculate your students’ budget and help them determine how much car they can truly afford. The budgets can also be printed out for use as a handout.
- Rate Comparison Worksheet (Word document - 57 KB) – this useful worksheet allows consumers to compare vehicle financing rate quotes from multiple creditors. This is an excellent way to show students how to compare not only the monthly payment, but also all contract terms, conditions and overall cost of credit.
- "Auto Financing Tune Up" Quiz: Teachers will appreciate having this quiz for use at the end of a class, or as a handout for homework (Word document - 183 KB). For computer-equipped classrooms, students can take the quiz online and receive their results and explanations immediately.
If you are planning to hold an auto financing workshop in your community, we would be pleased to send you a free Road Map. Email us with your mailing and contact information by clicking here.
Share Your Stories with Us
AWARE appreciates the work you are doing in your community to educate consumers about auto financing. We would welcome any feedback you receive from your class, and whether the attendees were able to apply their newly-learned skills to secure an auto financing option that made the most sense for them and their families.
We are always looking for good examples of how this program is being used, and encourage you to contact us with your stories so we can share them with others. Additionally, AWARE will occasionally highlight an organization’s efforts too educate consumers on our Web site, or in our electronic newsletter. Please contact us if you would like your program to be featured in this manner.
© AWARE 2007 - Conditions for Use (PDF - 33 KB)